Thanks to our partners, in 2021 Wayuu Taya benefited over 140.000 people
The Wayuu Taya Foundation strives to make life better by bringing food, access to health, access to education to the most vulnerable, in localities along the border between Venezuela and Colombia. The indigenous population have the least access to infrastructure and are the most vulnerable in the country. In many areas there is no access to water, no electrical, gas, or sewage systems, which has resulted in a proliferation of disease, malnutrition, and viruses. Yet the population remains incredibly resilient.
In collaboration with Frank Giustra, Acceso, Giustra Foundation, Chef José Andrés, World Central Kitchen Foundation and Aid Live Foundation, Wayúu Taya started the implementation of a weekly food program aimed at Wayuu community. A total of 148 communities, 58 institutions and 62 schools from the region are served, reaching over 4,700 people per week. To date, our food program has helped feed over 46,850 people and served more than 2,200,000 meals.
During 2021, WTF received 3,400 kg of medicine and supplies from our allies were distributed, reaching those in need in different states of Venezuela, benefiting over 38,000 people.
Our Covid-19 response program has delivered more than 114,000 bars of soap, and thousands of masks, face shields, biosecurity suits, oximeters, safety glasses and gallons of hand sanitizer, benefiting over 55,150 people.
Our allies CORE, Center for Disaster Philanthropy, Global Giving, Direct Relief, Clean The World, ACCESO, World Central Kitchen, Giustra Foundation, Clinton Foundation, Corporations and individuals have made this possible.
These actions have had very concrete benefits for the communities:
1. Reduction of cases of malnutrition in schools and communities benefiting from Humanitarian Aid.
2. Slower diaspora of Wayuu families to Colombia, since the main factor causing displacement to another country is the lack of food and medicine.
3. More than 2.200.000 meals have been prepared during these months.
4. Permanent nutrition assessment sessions have been carried out where numerous cases of extreme malnutrition were detected in children.
5. More than 120.000 bars of soaps have been distributed in the area thanks to our partnership with Clean The World Foundation.
6. Provided potable water, nutritional drinks, PPE for medical personal and 5000 masks for the children.
7. Through our community meal model, we gave children the opportunity to have one daily serving of nutrient rich food to maintain overall health and development. It has been a successful and immensely needed program helping to reduce cases of malnutrition exponentially. We delivered nutritional drinks for over 2,150 children in 20 communities.